A first test of the accuracy of my compass and gyro sensors proved that sensors are heavily affected by the robot itself. Especially the motors affect the readings of the compass sensor.

With this knowledge In mind I wanted to make my robot more accurate. This is what I mean by system accuracy.

First I looked at the gyro. Both its average readingĀ as the spread around the average seem to be affected by running motors. First I tried to put the sensor away from the motors by mounting it on top of the robot. This didn’t improve readings. The mean was still affected and spread got worse. The latter, I concluded, must be caused by vibrations. These are worse on top of the robot just as the tip of a mast swings further than the boat itself. I put the sensor back to its original position. The drop in mean still puzzled me, but I already concluded I should get the base level of the sensor with running motors, as this is the normal state of my robot. After I changed batteries I noticed that the drop in mean due to the motors was smaller. Maybe the motors cause a drop in voltage on the sensor port? Maybe this causes the drop in mean? Maybe this is also the cause of the spike errors just after changing power levels? I don’t know for sure. But this is more likely to be the cause than electro magnetical disturbances, at least for this sensor.

The compass sensor on the other hand suffered heavily from electro magnetical disturbances during my first test. I tried several alternative positions with this sensor but I ended with mounting it on top of the brick. The brick shields the sensor from the motors this way. This place proved to give the least disturbances. The sensor is still off-balanceĀ a short time after applying a change in power sent to the motors, but it recovers within 0.1 seconds. This effect I contribute to a temporarily drop in voltage on the sensor ports. I really should include voltage levels in my readings when testing again.

With the new set up I think the sensor placement is as good as it can be. I’ll have to keep in mind though that sensor readings seem to be affected by drops in power levels. I think I will overcome these effects by not feeding the Kalman filter observations when this happens. This is a valid technique for the filter. One just has to skip the update phase for a few iterations.

In the next post I will present the results of my final test and determine the variance of both sensors within my system.

Advertisements