In this post I will discuss my genetic algorithm to tune a PID controller.

PID controllers are often used in robotics, especially to drive motors. In my case a want a PID controller that turns Sidbot (see previous posts for this robot) to desired headingd in the quickest possible way. The job of the PID controller is to specify the amount of motor power that is suited to turn the robot. One can imagine that the amount of power will be large when the robot is way off the desired heading. If the robot is exactly on the desired heading the motor must remain motionless, the amount of power must be 0. When the robot is close to the desired heading then the motors must receive little power, otherwise the robot could overshoot the desired heading without stopping. If the robot overshoots the power must be negative.

The PID controller works like this. It takes the difference between current heading and desired heading and calles this the error. The error is the basis for calculating the amount of power that needs to got to the motors. It not only takes the current error (Proportional), it also takes into account how big the error used to be (Integral) and how big it is likely to be (Derivative). It weights these three inputs with PID values and sums them. This is the amount of power that is send to the motors.

Finding good values for P, I and D can be a difficult thing. You might check wikipedia to read more about some of the methods that are used. I wanted to use a smart kind of trial and error method using the same principle that also drive evolution: Survival of the fittest. I took ten randomly chosen values for PID and tested them all. The best sets survived, the worst 50%were discarded. As there were only 5 sets left I copied these these to have one copy each. By chance these copies were a little bit different from their parent. Then I tested these ten sets again. This process was repeated over and over until a satisfactory set of parameters was found.

Below is a graph that’s shows the results of my experiment. It actually shows the PID values for the best set each time I tested the 10 sets. It also shows how much time it took to make a turn of 60 degrees. Remember my goal was to go to the end heading as quick as possible, so the lower this light blue line, the better the parameters.

So what does this graph tell you? In the last test the robot reached it’s goal in about 0.4 seconds. I don’t think it can do much faster due to physical limitations. The graph also shows that a fairly good set of parameters was found quickly, just after a few tests the turn was made within 4.2 seconds. (I must admit that I had some idea for a suitable range for the random generator that selected the initial PID parameters). It then took some time to find a set that was even better. After that changes to the PID values got smaller and the gain was also smaller. The optimum PID values were reached.

I might conclude that my experiment was successful. But the task of the PID controller was a simple one.

For those still here, these are the resulting values P=210.91 I=56.75 D=2 hI=0.65. hI is the fading speed of the Integral.

About these ads